Thursday 23 May 2013

Wonderful whale watching


Gwen and her team have since left Plett and moved on to do whale surveys in False Bay. This left me with the job of joining the commercial whale watching tours and photographing any whales seen. Unfortunately, being winter with no tourists, the trips out to sea have been minimal. Fortunately, the one trip I did do we managed to find a whale! Score! It is amazing to see the peoples joy and excitement over the whale sighting and I realised how incredibly blessed I was to have spent the time I did with Gwen and her team, with so many sightings and being able to get so close! On the handful of trips I did with Gwen, we managed to find at least one whale on every trip, sometimes even two or three. For the first two weeks in False Bay, with trips to sea almost every day, Gwen didn’t see any whales. How lucky am I?!

Cape Cormorant roost at the seal colony.
Not going to look!
Can't neglect the gulls!
Plop!
Up and up and up and up!
White-chinned Petrel.
Bryde's whale.

No comments:

Post a Comment