Thursday 22 August 2013

Robberg

After my first morning out at the Lookout colony, I headed for an afternoon at Robberg, another first visit. I donned my super cool fisherman’s jacket and off I went. The walk/hike to the Robberg colony was quite pleasant, I was time limited so didn’t dawdle but kept a steady pace along the path, really enjoying being out and active. Once I reached the island the real work began. Searching for the nests proved entertaining, the Robberg colony is on a semi-vegetated rocky island, and I am grateful I am not afraid of heights! I had a grand time wandering around only a small section of the island but found a total of 12 nests. It really is so cool to see already how the nests at Robberg differ to those at the Peninsula with many being under overhanging rock shelves, in a small cave of sorts, for protection from the full force of mother nature. It was a short visit but I did so enjoy it, I am looking forward to the future trips to Robberg, it is a place I will never tire of!

Nest number 2 tucked under a rocky overhang.
Nest number 12 also somewhat tucked under a rocky overhang.

No comments:

Post a Comment