Tuesday 2 July 2013

Robberg recon

Seeing as I had rubbish and pellet collections from both of the Keurbooms colonies, it seemed a good idea to do a collection on Robberg at the Seagull Nursery island. I hadn’t made a trip to Robberg in quite a while and so instead of organising a team to go and do a mass collection and clean-up, Shane and I did a reconnaissance trip. I had forgotten how gruelling the walk was, the huge thigh-burning steps down to the beach gap and then the trudge up and around the island. There was a pocket of gulls that regularly roost on the beach gap, but very few on the island. Between Shane and myself we collected a small bag of pellets, plastics, bones and glass. That was perhaps the most surprising, the glass shards. Many of the pellets had disintegrated in the weather but the glass remained. Our trip was a wonderfully fresh change from sorting out rubbish in the garage, but also rather successful!

A handsome man that posed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment