Sunday 8 September 2013

A wonderful walk

After a talk on how to use My Bird Patch, which unfortunately I wasn’t able to make, there was a field trip to put it all into practice, which I joined. We went to Goose Marsh, which as the name suggests, is rather wet! As we sloshed through the soggy ground we saw a wonderful range of birds, totalling 42 species for the 2 and a half hour walk. For me the highlight was definitely the Cape Longclaw, a new species for me and oh so pretty! As we walked along, Mark and I started scheming about doing some waterbird ringing.. watch this space!

Entering Goose Marsh.
Enjoying the flowers.
I love the colours here.
Levaillant's Cisticola.
Kittlitz's Plovers.
Cape Longclaw.
Sacred Ibis.
After a wonderful walk we went to look at a heronry extending over two neighbouring pine trees. At first glance, you wouldn’t really notice the birds and the nests, but once you take a good long look, along with the aid of a pair of binoculars, you’ll be amazed! It really excited me to see this, a mix of Grey and Black-headed Herons breeding together in these two big pines, invisible despite their size until you look hard or see one arriving or leaving. What a way to end the morning! Shirley and I got home starving but happy, and made crumpets for lunch!

Grey Heron.
Collecting nesting material.
Spot the birds!



And now look at this..





How many did you get?!

No comments:

Post a Comment