Wednesday 18 September 2013

Loggers off!

10 days after putting the GPS loggers on the rehab Kelp Gulls, Shirley, Demi and myself went back to Tenikwa to take them off. Surprisingly, the one I thought would be the more likely of the two to come off was still quite firmly on, whereas the one I thought we had put on very well, was hanging by a few feathers. I carefully took the tape off the feathers and relieved the birds of their packages. The one upset gull showed it’s displeasure by taking advantage of my handling complacency and bit me in a rather sensitive part of my anatomy, I was not impressed! It was a quick visit and once home I downloaded the data, it seems that all is well for the breeding season with regards to the GPS loggers!

The logger was still firmly on the juvenile. 
The grumpy bird that bit me!

No comments:

Post a Comment